Thursday 2 October 2014

Induction Week

Induction week was probably one of the most creatively challenging experiences that I have undergone so far within my studies. Throughout the week I was continuously pushed out of my comfort zone and my mind challenged  to think creatively on the spot without any time for planning, which coming from a academic background I am completely unaccustomed to.
One of the first challenges set within 'Induction Week' was to create a mask from a brown paper bag, this mask was not designed as a self portrait but rather an artistic representation of who we may like to become within the next few years.

This project was interesting because of how quickly my ideas evolved over the 20 minutes of producing the mask. Originally my idea was to create an 'expanding mind' depicted as colourful waves, to express the creative development of my imagination. However this idea seemed to be almost neglected and instead I ended up with a mask more representative of a French autocrat. Just from within this small time frame it was interesting to see how ideas develop and that despite how ideal an original concept appears, the final outcome may be something completely different. It made me appreciate how the mind works and flows through changing ideas. A piece of work can only ever grow through accepting changing ideas and alternative inspiration.

The final mask itself was interesting to me as although to the unquestioning eye it had zero representation of my psychical self, I had unintentionally created a mask representative of what inspires me most within the makeup and fashion industry. The fact the masks character appears somewhat 'French' in style is reflective of my love for Paris Fashion Week with the top hat and contrasting hair hinting at the elaborate world of avant grade and haute couture. This link to Paris Fashion Week in particular is personal to me as I feel this is when designers, makeup artists and hair stylists alike truly let loose their unique flare through the exquisite designs of their stages and pieces.

Because of my love for the art and the influence that it plays within the beauty and fashion industry I felt that the only place suitable to photograph my mask publicly was that of a sculpture than interests me. Therefore I chose Jane Ackroyd's abstract piece entitled 'Three Rings' (1992) which can be found within Ocean Village, Southampton. The sculpture to me embodies a similar ideology to that of how beauty is viewed as it is a new piece constructed from older items. Much like cosmetics and the idealism of beauty that has continued to grow and develop throughout history.

The 'Selfie' Challenge
This task was honestly one that I truly disliked completing as it pushed me further from my comfort zone. This task involved going to a mixture of set locations and taking a 'selfie' photograph at each one and then asking about what each company would refer to as their 'Hero Product', the process of asking the artists at each brand about their products wasn't to much of a challenge for me as I am comfortable speaking to new people, however taking a blatant photograph of myself in a crowded shopping centre was not so enjoyable. Nethertheless the task was completed...

The Southampton Museum and Gallery
The Mayflower Theatre
Laura Mercier counter in WestQuay
HP - Secret Camouflage

Bobbi Brown counter in WestQuay
HP - Long Wear Gel Eyeliner
MAC counter in WestQuay
HP - Lipstick in Russian Red 
Just to prove I actually went to WestQuay
Smashbox counter in Boots
HP - Photofinish Foundation Primer
Benefit counter in Boots
HP - Hello Flawless Oxygen Wow Brightening Makeup

No comments:

Post a Comment