Monday 20 October 2014

Self Portrait

This self portrait is not only a depiction of myself now but also how I how I became  to develop myself as a woman. The choice of deep purples and reds within this portrait are representative of my love for gothic literature, classic rock and Renaissance art where the use of deep tones expressed sophistication and wealth as they were both difficult and expensive to create, although I myself and far from wealthy its a element that I wouldn't reject if it happened in the future as I have a fondness for expensive looking things despite my efforts to be non-materialistic.

The use of the candles and rich fabrics is symbolic of my growing up under the influence of gothic literature with authors such as Oscar Wilde, Edgar Allen Poe and Bram Stoker shaping my perceptions of romance and society from a young age. What in particular stood out to me within gothic literature was the freedom of women who embraced their sexuality within a time period of restriction. In particular this focuses on the ability of a woman to supernaturally enhance her beauty for the purpose of both male and female seduction. This is a concept similar to that of modern day makeup whereby we as human beings alter our natural selves to become a more desirable version. Within gothic literature the woman portrays two roles, the stereotypical 'victim' or the predator. The 'predator' has always been a figure I admired, in particular the character of Carmilla by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu, a beautiful vampire who seduced only the most youthful of women. This idea of untamed femininity within the Victorian era was completely uncommon and any woman inspired by this idea of complete female control and liberation became known as a 'New Woman'. To myself the concept of a woman held back by no one but herself was inspiring and the figure of Carmilla became a personal inspiration.

The black glitter platform heels add a bold feminine edge to my look as often because of my short hair and everyday dress sense it is frequently presumed I am not a feminine person, however I consider my short hair an enhancement of my femininity as it advocates that I don't require long hair extensions to feel like a woman. Shoes are an absolute addiction of mine and my collection of risqué heels is ever expanding however every single pair is black as it is a favourite colour of mine and always looks good. Finally my leather trousers, which are a statement piece within my wardrobe and probably worn to death, are a homage to musicians like Steve Tyler and Guns N Roses guitarist Slash who sparked my love for classic rock during childhood, a passion that continues today as I am far more likely to be found in a Rock 'n' Roll bar than any nightclub given the option. For myself classic rock offered something that was rebellious but original, I view many of todays bands as mere copies of ideas done before them and for that reason classic rock remains timeless. There will never be another Iron Maiden or Meatloaf, they are original to their own identity and recognisable from the first few seconds of guitar riff, much like how one day I hope to be seen within the fashion industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment