Sunday 2 November 2014

Basic Skills - Drawing

Unfortunately as these images were scanned the quality of the lifework has been lost slightly, this was due to working with a B pencil that didn't show up on the scanner. In future I will know to do all line work and practice in a much darker pencil that can actually be seen by the scanner.
As part of studying any creative subject an understanding of art and ability to draw are essential for accurately communicating your ideas. For example, at a show you may be asked to explain the look you are intending to create. This is not always something fully achievable through words alone and the ability to quickly sketch out your concept and elaborate from that point with verbal explanation is an essential and highly useful skill.
Being someone who had done both Fine Art and Sculpture at A Level I found the class thoroughly enjoyable as drawing has always been something I thoroughly enjoy, however the class also presented a number of challenges.
Despite my Fine Art background I had never been taught the traditional methods of drawing which included freehand straight lines, circles and freeform squares and triangles. I found it rather unsettling that I had gone so long without knowing these basic skills and as a result had to completely reteach myself the ability to draw from the whole arm rather than the wrist. Another challenge presented within the drawing class was that of making a 2D object appear more 3 Dimensional, firstly I started with a cube which was somewhat unsuccessful and then moving onto rounder objects. Strangely I found the process of shading rounder objects to appear 3D easier which is helpful as the human face is more rounded than angular/square. However I do need to practise and develop upon my drawing abilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment