Monday 10 November 2014

Makeup Designs (1st and 2nd Idea)

One of my original designs was one which featured a colour combination of golds and purples as well as ashy contouring of the face and eyes. The main focus of this look was the design on the lips which featured a purple heart shape with pressed gold into the centre of the lip, the heart shape links back to the traditional shapes used within Elizabethan design enhancing the fashion of a petite mouth. Although this design is effective I have decided not to use it for my final makeup look as I feel it is too simplistic but also stereotypical of Elizabethan beauty standards with the pale skin and gold tones. Although the purple links to my witchcraft theme I felt that the gold was so conventional and the whole purpose of my design was too create an Elizabethan look that didn't appear cliche in its choice of colours. One element that I did want to keep from this design was the use of bleached white eyebrows as I felt that it added an authentic element to the makeup design and I do not like the way white makeup appears on the eyebrows, also I felt the process of blocking the brows was to theatrical for the editorial look I was aiming to achieve. In my final design I will definitely carry the purple elements and bleached eyebrows over as I feel the work better than conventional tones such as red. 
This design most likely won't be used within my final design as I feel it is too stereotypical of Elizabethan beauty conventions and doesn't link to my intentions to include a witchcraft theme into my design. The lip was intended to be a gradient of reds with a bright pillar box red on the top lip and deep burgundy on the lower with a gold pressed into the centre. One element of this design that I did like however was the use of the white over the centre of the face and this is definitely something that I would like to incorporate into my final design as it adds an artistic Elizabethan edge. Dependant on how the testing of products works out this will be achieved either through white supracolour or acrylic paint, however I feel that the use of paint may be more effective in recreating the cracked effect of th paint found within Elizabethan portraiture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment