Sunday 9 November 2014

Max Tan 'Stripped' Spring/summer 2011 Campaign - MUA Lindsey Rivera

https://www.notjustalabel.com/collection/maxtan/stripped-springsummer-2011-campaign
Lindsey Rivera's makeup designs for the Max Tan 'Stripped' collection is another big inspiration for my final Elizabethan makeup design as I feel the look really embodies that witchy element that I wanted to include in my final makeup design. The elements of this design in particular that I adore it the use of the hollowed eye socket and bleached eyebrows which is so creepily quintessential Elizabethan and an element that I want to embody within my own design. These images to me are perfect examples of the counter beauty of Elizabethan standards as her hair is long straight and black in contrast to the fashionable red curls of the period. In addition to this is the full lip which despite being a shade of rouge is dark, is bordering almost on purple/black, the use of a full lip is another unconventional Elizabethan standard as it was a small mouth that was considered most beautiful. 
However it is Rivera's creation of the eye makeup that stands out to me most from this design as it is so simple yet creates such as dramatic impact on the face by hollowing the socket, creating a ghostly and somewhat dead feel to the face. The pale skin is enhanced by the use of greys around the eyes and the bleached eyebrows further enhance the skeletal features of the model, the combinations of greys and purple within this makeup styling connotes to me a darker theme resembling an almost bruising effect. It could therefore be interpreted also from the collections title 'Stripped' that the makeup is reflective of the removal of a woman's dignity within the eyes Elizabethan beauty standards and how a woman's looks alone could distinguish her from woman or witch. 
In all I find the images from the collection both dark and delicate, reflecting an effortless ghostly Renaissance beauty and this is an element I would like to reflect also within my own final work. 
Image Ref: 'Stripped', Max Tan, Spring/Summer 2011, https://www.notjustalabel.com/collection/maxtan/stripped-springsummer-2011-campaign

No comments:

Post a Comment